For those of you who are preparing your speeches:
- 8 Steps to Practicing a Presentation by Dr. Michelle Mazur — this post confirms a lot of what we talked about in class, in terms of how to best practice your extemporaneous speech. Stand up, say it out loud, and time it! Check out this post for some additional tips.
- Olympics Presenter Shares Tips for Public Speaking — Rah Seung-yun became famous for her pitch to the International Olympics Committee for the 2018 Winter Olympics. Read this article for some advice on how to speak clearly and persuasively.
- 3 Word Types that Assassinate Good Communication by Scott Danielson — ah, the perils of speech fillers and jargon! This post describes why speakers should avoid these verbal pitfalls.
Links on how to be an engaged audience member:
- Julian Treasure’s TED Talk on 5 Ways to Listen Better — some tips on how to be a conscious listener to the world around you (and your colleagues’ speeches!).
- Modified ‘Sandwich Technique’ for Evaluations by Andrew Dlugan (U of S engineering grad!) — Some really good advice on how to provide constructive critique for speeches.
And finally, for everyone who’s finished their speech, here’s ‘Awesome Thing #296’: