You’ve written a great cover letter, now onto writing a captivating résumé! Here are some helpful links that will supplement the reading materials in the textbook:
- Ten Easy Ways to Improve your Resume by Katharine Hansen, Ph.D. Some really good advice here, especially her tips on eliminating verbal clutter and using strong, concrete verbs.
- How to Write a Masterpiece of a Resume, by the Rockport Institute — a six-part series that walks you through the process of putting together your information for an employer.
- Give your résumé a face lift — some good formatting tips in this article.
- 6 Words that Make your Resume Suck — I know, unfortunate word-choice in the title of the article, but there’s some good advice here on how to make your résumé stand out.
- How to Construct a Killer Resume, from Start to Finish — more on setting yourself apart from the competition
- and here’s The Student Employment Career Centre’s Resume Guide. You may want to play with their Resume Builder — just be careful that you take the time to personalize your résumé so you don’t fall into the template trap!
If you would like to drop by my office sometime to show me a draft of your job package, feel free to come see me! I’m happy to offer advice on how your information is shaping up.